A dental crown is a tooth-shaped prosthetic device that serves as a cap to cover a damaged tooth and improve its appearance. Dental crowns are made out of a number of materials including stainless steel, porcelain, and ceramic mimic. The material used to make a dental crown may determine the results you get aesthetically and in utility.
Here are reasons why you may need a dental crown:
- One of your teeth has a broken cusp – Accidents and large fillings can all cause cusps to break. A broken cusp makes the tooth prone to future cracks and may cause immense damage on the tooth over time. To prevent this, a crown can be placed to conceal the remaining cusps and take the direct bite pressure on their behalf.
- Your tooth has a large filling – A tooth with a large filling is likely to break or crack when exposed to heavy bite pressure. A crown will ensure the tooth and the filling is encased tightly together and does not directly come into contact with the opposite tooth.
- You have lost a tooth – A dental implant is made up of a post, which is fixed on the jawbone to represent the tooth root, and a crown to act as the tooth.
- You have had a root canal – Root canal leaves the repaired tooth hollow and susceptible to cracks and fractures. Ask your dentist to fill your canal-treated tooth and crown it immediately.
- You want to improve your appearance – Tooth-colored crowns can be used to cover misshapen, discolored and disproportionate teeth.
Get A Crown Treatment Today
If you have a dental imperfection that is causing you chewing problems or that you’re simply not happy about, consider having a crown placed on it. Call Downtown Dental Lemoore at 559-924-5353 if you are in Lemoore and want to see a qualified dentist for a crown treatment.